Today and tomorrow I’ll be working with a group of academic staff here at NUI Galway as part of the Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education here in CELT. Of course it’s very dangerous to ask someone who’s *just* completed their PhD in open education to talk about… open education 😉 So, I’ve decided simply to start with a few questions, curate a small collection of resources to share, and see what resonates with the individuals I’ll be working with. This post is just to share resources on my list so far — if you have any suggestions for additional resources that you have found helpful in working with staff, I’d love to know what works for you. I’ll post again after the two sessions are finished, to share what I’ve learned.
[UPDATE 12-April-2018] What a wonderful two sessions with academic staff discussing open educational practices, in the broadest sense. Below are the slides and resources that were shared and discussed.
- Biswas-Diener, R., & Jhangiani, R. (2017). Open: The Philosophy and Practices that are Revolutionizing Education and Science. London: Ubiquity Press.
- Cronin, C. (2017). Open education, open questions. EDUCAUSE Review, 23 October.
- Havemann, L. (2016). Open Educational Resources. In M. A. Peters (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Educational Philosophy and Theory. Singapore: Springer Singapore.
- Jianghani, R., & DeRosa, R. (2017). Open pedagogy. In E. Mays (Ed.), A Guide to Making Open Textbooks for Students.
- McKiernan, E.C. (2017). Imagining the “open” university: Sharing scholarship to improve research and education. PLoS Biology, 15(10).
- Phipps, L., & Lanclos, D. Leading with digital in an age of supercomplexity. Irish Journal of Technology Enhanced Learning, 3(1).
- Tufekci, Z. (2018, April 4). Why Zuckerberg’s 14-year apology tour hasn’t fixed Facebook. Wired. (also the author of Twitter and Tear Gas: The Power and Fragility of Networked Protest)
Institutional policies on openness
>> UPCOMING EVENTS
Annual CELT Symposium – June 15, 2018. Design for Learning: Teaching and Learning Spaces in Higher Education with Donna Lanclos, Alastair Blyth, Lorna Campbell
CELT seminar and workshops – May 1, 2018. Open Learning, Infectious Creativity, & the Future of Connected Collaboration with Alan Levine & Mia Zamora
- After the PhD defense: Thanks
- PhD thesis: Openness and praxis